Tips for Cleaning the Bedroom and Living Room
We spend approximately one-third of our lives asleep and clock a lot of time on the couch. Unfortunately, bedding, furniture, carpet and even household items can accumulate allergens and impact relaxation. To enjoy your bedroom and living room and help keep allergens under control, try these cleaning tips.
- Use -barrier bedding and zippered dust mite covers on all pillows, mattresses and box springs. Consider washable slipcovers for upholstered furniture.
- Reduce clutter by removing and donating unused items that collect dust, like books, knickknacks, large houseplants and unworn clothes.
- Wash your pet’s bed and pay special attention to their favorite spots to curl up. For example, clean window sills if that’s where your cat likes to perch.
- Put stuffed animals in the dryer for at least 15 minutes at a temperature above 130 F (54.4 C) to help reduce .
- Wash off-season clothes to remove allergens before storing them. Cardboard holds moisture and is a food source for , so store clothes in zippered bags or plastic tubs.
- Wash pillowcases, sheets and blankets in 130°F water every week to help reduce and pet dander.
- Use a damp cloth to clean all surfaces regularly. Don’t use a dry cloth or feather duster because they can stir up .
- Vacuum carpet and upholstery weekly. And be sure to use a vacuum with a filter to trap allergens that can pass through the vacuum’s exhaust.
- Ban the family pet from the bedroom to help reduce your exposure to pet dander as much as possible.